Below is a great example of what an HIPAA form consists of.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act(HIPAA) Form for Use or Disclosure of Protected Health Information.
I authorize ________________________________ (Healthcare Provider) to use and disclose the protected health information described below to _______________________________ (individual seeking the information).
2. Effective Period
This authorization for release of information covers the period of healthcare from:
a. ______________ to ______________.
b. □ all past, present, and future periods.
3. Extent of Authorization
a. □ I authorize the release of my complete health record (including records relating to mental healthcare, and treatment of alcohol or drug abuse).
b. □ I authorize the release of my complete health record with the exception of the following information:
□ Mental health records
□ Alcohol/drug abuse treatment
□ Other (please specify): _______________________________________________
4. This medical information may be used by the person I authorize to receive this information for medical treatment or consultation, billing or claims payment, or other purposes as I may direct.
5. This authorization shall be in force and effect until ___________________ (date or event), at which time this authorization expires.
6. I understand that I have the right to revoke this authorization, in writing, at any time. I understand that a revocation is not effective to the extent that any person or entity has already acted in reliance on my authorization or if my authorization was obtained as a condition of obtaining insurance coverage and the insurer has a legal right to contest a claim.
7. I understand that my treatment, payment, enrollment, or eligibility for benefits will not be conditioned on whether I sign this authorization.
8. I understand that information used or disclosed pursuant to this authorization may be disclosed by the recipient and may no longer be protected by federal or state law.
Signature of patient or personal representative
Printed name of patient or personal representative and his or her relationship to patient